Sunday, February 3, 2013

The Condura Skyway Marathon 2013

Run Event:  
Race Category: 42k (Full Marathon)
When/Gun Start: Sun, 02/03/13 12:00 M.N.
Where: Alabang, Metro Manila
My Race Result:

My Race Result - The Condura Skyway Marathon 2013 (click image to enlarge)

My First Full Marathon (42k Race) Experience:

After my first half-marathon with PSE Bull Run 2013, that day, I experienced how a long-distance run is like and back that day, I inquired to Condura about changing my race category to 21k instead, haha. Unfortunately or perhaps fatefully, they can't change the race category and it's time for me to pursue the training.

Me and my mom went to our relatives in Alabang for the free lodging (thanks to Cortez family for the accommodation . My mom is actually discouraging me to run a full marathon because she knew of someone who died in PSE Bull Run 2013. I think it traumatize her and me. We couldn't believe some really dies with this sport, I think with no proper training and health check ups from physicians, anyone may suffer the same fate.

My run is scheduled at 12 midnight of February 03, 2013. I really feel nervous about 42k and I'm on last two from the final wave. As far as I can remember, we run at 12:33 AM (Wave E), Wave A started running at 12:00 MN exact. If i registered early, I should be at Wave A. You know, I don't want to left behind and strive to get ahead along with average runners.

Since it's 42 kilometer run, I calculated, if I finished 21k for almost 3 hours, double the hours, perhaps I can finish this for 6 hours. I did a new technique, I run, if there's almost pressure, slow jog. If my condition is well, run again. I walk when i reached a hydration station (in every 1 kilometer), to heal my muscles. I make sure I'm well hydrated.

Along the run, I would like to praise the assignation of marshals in every 300 meters or 500 meters in the race track. They're very responsive and very friendly. They would say "Good morning, Sir!", smile at you and give you a thumbs-up when you passed by. Even with my suplado look, they would still do that (note: i'm not suplado but it's just how i look like because of my eyeglasses).

Upon reaching the 21 kilometer mark, I feel very happy. I can't believe, I did a half-marathon again! I actually texted my friend [ +Nelson Evangelista ] and brag about it, you know, I feel very much alone even the marshals are friendly-responsive. Texting him help me somewhat I'm talking to someone while on the race. I think, I should get a run buddy next time. It lacks motivation to pursue the run when you're not talking to anyone else. By the way, +Nelson Evangelista, my office mate ran for 6k at , I'm happy I inspired him to run and he joined.

At 21 kilometer mark also, I feel a little pain on my knee. It's getting strainy now, good thing there's a medic, I am not sure if every marshals is a medic anyway when I see a red cross patch, I'm sure they are. They have linaments to comfort the strain. Glad they have it, and in spray bottle. I didn't much feel the balmy sensation but it helps my feet a little. I think, I asked for linament thrice or four times between 21k to 24k mark. They serve as my resting points. I can't believe, these runners are awesome. They run/jog/walk continuously with 42k! My cousin told me that you may rest in 15 mins. if you're running a 42k, that's an advice from his friend who ran a 42k too but I am not sure if that will be good because if you rest by sitting, It would do much pain on your calves. Better be, we rest by walking or so, I think.

At 23 or 24 kilometers mark, I feel i'm about to quit the race. Exhaustion and strainy legs are telling me to quit but every moments I saw marshal saying "Good evening, Sir!" and photographers taking a shot of me, the feeling of surrender fades, It, they cheered me up. I asked God, to give me strength, a miracle to revitalize my body. Yes, I'm actually talking to him. There's no one to talk. Runners are somehow behind me or up ahead of me and I can't stop at my current pace.

At 27 kilometer mark, there are less runners, they're just walking now, maybe because of straining legs too. This is what I've got with no enough training (i was able to train just twice a week, every week, before this run). I told myself, this would be my last 42k run. Just finish this and this would be my final 42k run. I walk harder then suddenly someone approach me, asking me "Sir, pwedeng sumabay?" *if he could get along with my walk. I said "Sure!". His name is Chito, 21 years of age. I am not sure if he finished the race.












Updating for pictures and tracking back of experiences . . .






No comments:

Post a Comment